Literacy in India is a key for socio-economic progress. In India, since last few years Kerala was the most literate state with approx 93.91% according to 2011 census. Tripura was on 3rd position in literacy rate according to 2011 census. But last year, Tripura state has achieved first position in literacy in the country with 95.16 percent and now it is announced by the Chief Minister of Tripura, Manik Sarkar, on Monday that “soon Tripura State is to achieve 100% literacy rate”.
At present Tripura’s literacy rate is 96.82% which will about to change with 100 % in next six months. Other states which are in competition with Tripura in Literacy rate are Mizoram and Kerala with 88.80 and 93.91 percentile respectively.
Tripura is doing great efforts and provide education to all literate persons up to class III standard. As the millennium turned, and most states joined the ‘development’ or have the high Gross Domestic Product (GDP) race, Tripura keep putting its efforts to ensure every child in the state goes to school. The programme did not stop at the children; it ensured that people, who were left out of the fold of formal education and who were too old to start his/her education again, would be provided education to improve quality of their lives.
Tripura is doing remarkable work in making the state top literate state of the country. Tripura has 45 blocks and 23 subdivisions that are served by 68 government run schools and 30-40 private schools.
Some programs or projects implemented by the Tripura’s government to increase the literacy rate in the state are:-
• People aged between 15 to 50, who have discontinued their studies or lost the change to educate, A special programme “Improved pace and content learning (IPCL) is introduced in which basic education is to be provided.
• In around 10,000 aanganwadi centres, there is 100 percent enrollment.
• Policy of no examination till schools class 8th to children people from dropping out.
• Mid day meal in all is introduced to attract more students to join school.
• Government colleges are tuition fee free.