The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection conducts several exams for recruiting aspirants looking for a job in the banking sector. It holds exams to recruit PO, SO, Clerks, RRB Assistants, RRB Officers, etc. But cracking these exams is not a piece of cake. The aspirants must have a complete hold on the exam pattern and syllabus.
IBPS clerk exam is the entry level examination for the clerical position. It is conducted in two phases: Prelims and mains. Preliminary exam is a qualifying exam whose marks are not added up in the final marks. After this hurdle is crossed, the next milestone is to crack IBPS Clerk Mains Exam. The Mains exam requires utmost accuracy as each wrong answer deducts 0.25 as negative marks.
Know the Syllabus, Exam Pattern and Best Books for IBPS Clerk
Before you begin your preparation, go through the syllabus, exam pattern and recommended books for IBPS clerk preparation. The IBPS Mains online examination consists of 200 questions with a time limit of 2 hours. The format and interface of the clerk exam is as followed. Remember that cutoff in this exam is applied on two stages- each section and on the total score.
|Sections||No. of Questions||No. of Marks|
|2. Numerical Aptitude||40||40|
|4. General Awareness||40||40|
|Total Composite time:- 120 minutes = 2 hours|
Recommended IBPS Preparation books for IBPS Clerk, SBI, RRB
- Quantitative Aptitude Books for IBPS Clerk
- Books for General English for Competitive Exams
- General Awareness & Banking Awareness Books
- Books for Computer Knowledge
- Reasoning Books for IBPS Preparation
Make a Strategy
While going through the exam syllabus, also analyse previous year question paper to make detailed preparation strategy. Thorough analysis of topics and sections will help you in fine tuning your preparation.
Make a strategy to cover the important topics, understand the basics and study examples, practice as many questions possible. After one is sorted with the exam preparation strategy, wisely choose the updated and validated study material and IBPS Clerk Main exam preparation books.
Manage Time, Speed and Accuracy
To qualify the exam, smart work is also needed along with the hard work. Time management is the key to crack the Mains exam. While preparation, follow the time limit for each section to maintain consistency and speed. Make a study table and stick to it. The aim is to achieve maximum questions in limited time. While attempting the exam, make a target time for each section and try to achieve it.
Practice Mock Tests
Practice previous year examination papers and mock tests in the exam room scenario. Sit in a peaceful environment and give your full concentration while doing the tests. This will help you buck up your speed and know about your weakness and strengths. Mock tests can also be attempted online.
Tips to Remember During Examination
- Start the exam by solving those questions which require less time like Syllogism, Inequality, Data interpretation, Simplification, Number Series, cloze test, error spotting and sentence rearrangement.
- Do not jump to time consuming topics like– Coding and Decoding, Seating Arrangement or Puzzles in the starting.
- Attempt those questions first which you have practiced more.
- Don’t devote much time solving a single question. Move on and come back to it later.
- General awareness is the most scoring section. Attempt only those questions which you are 100 percent sure of. Don’t take guesses.
- Aspirants can start with Computer section as it is easy and least time consuming.
- Read the questions properly before making an attempt.
- Stay calm during the examination.