Essential English for Competitive Examinations - 2nd Edition
Disha’s ESSENTIAL ENGLISH, true to its name, covers every essential topic and every essential type and pattern of MCQs asked in various competitive examinations conducted in India. It will serve as a SINGULAR VOLUME to provide complete preparation for scoring high in the English section of any competitive exam.
Essential features of the book
• Organised into IV parts: Grammar, Verbal Aptitude, RC & Para jumbles; Descriptive English -
including 40 Chapters grouped under 10 Segments.
• Grammar topics and sub-topics explained in an easy-to-understand manner.
• Classroom Exercises to test and reinforce in-depth understanding of Concepts.
• Extensive Exam pattern MCQs on each Topic to give you complete practice.
• Dedicated Chapters for every specific MCQ pattern.
• Things To Remember/Strategies To Employ for solving each Question Type.
• 5000+ MCQs in all with Answers and Explanations.
• Descriptive composition – Essay, Précis, Letter.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
PART A – GRAMMAR (With Extensive Exam Pattern Exercises)
4. Subject-Verb Agreement
6. Articles, Quantifiers and other Determiners
9. Non-finite Verbs/ Verbals
11. Question Tags
14. Punctuation & Contraction
17. Phrases, Clauses & Clause Analysis
19. Synthesis of Sentences
20. Transformation of Sentences
PART B – VERBAL APTITUDE (With Extensive Word Banks and MCQs)
21. Word Association: Similar and Opposite Words
22. Verbal Analogy and Words with Multiple Meanings
23. Phrasal Verbs
24. Idioms & Phrases
26. One Word Substitution
27. Word Fillers
28. Cloze Test
29. Sentence Connectors
30. Sentence Correction/Improvement
31. Spotting Errors
PART C – RC AND PARAJUMBLES (Extensive MCQs with Answers & Explanations)
32. Para jumbles and Sentence Rearrangement
33. Odd Sentence Out
34. Paragraph Completion
35. General Comprehension
36. Logical & Critical Reasoning based Reading Comprehension
37. Summary/Theme/Main idea of the Passage
PART D – Descriptive composition (With Samples & Solved Exercises)
38. Précis Writing
39. Letter Writing
40. Article/Essay Writing